Puto can be made sweet and colorful (purple for ube flavor or green for pandan flavor) or savory filled with minced meat (puto pao) and then topped with cheese or salted egg.
Pieter bought me an electric steamer and the first project was these savory mushipan. These cuties are so delicious, light and fluffy. You can fill it with chicken or pork or leave it plain.
mushipan - makes 101 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp milk
4 tbsp sugar (-2 tbsp if you will make a savory ones)
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 hard boiled salted egg or sliced cheese (optional)
- Preheat a steamer filled with water on high heat.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk and vegetable oil in a medium-size bowl until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture just until combined.
- Fill silicon muffin cups about 1/3 full, then 2 teaspoons of meat filling over batter and cover with enough batter. Top with salted egg or cheese.
- Place the cups in the steamer and cover. If you are using metal steamer or electric steamer with plastic pans like mine, you may have to place a towel (I used heavy duty kitchen tissue) between the pan and the cover, this helps absorb any condensation and prevents it from dripping onto your mushipan.
- Steam over high heat for 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into one of the buns comes out clean.