I've known Pieter since Oct 2005 and today I made this dessert in celebration of 4 years being together.
This is a no-bake dessert and so easy to prepare. Actually I was planning to make peaches n' cream only but while doing grocery, I saw these very ripe mangoes flooded all over the fruit section and decided to combine peach and mango like the pie I used to eat before.
You can skip mango and make peach only or vice versa. But I love the combination of peach and mango....with cream...ooh la la! superb flavor.
I prefer this dessert frozen like an ice cream with ice crystals that gives me brain freeze. I know it shouldn't be that way. I like having them frozen than soft like a custard.
By the way, I skipped condensed milk in this recipe. I hate condensed milk, I never use it in any of my baking or cooking. Well, I did when I made my brazo de mercedez few weeks ago. The sweetness of the condensed milk is killing me and the color appearance? hmmm....better not mention it.
mangoes, peaches n' cream
1 1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
6 tbsp melted butter
2 cups cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar (add more if you prefer super sweet)
1 large ripe mango
1 can of peaches (halves or slices)
for the base
- In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker and melted butter with fork until well combined.
- Press onto the bottom of glass dish. You can use any glass dish you want just make sure the height must be at least 3 inches.
- Place in the fridge while you prepare the cream and fruits.
- Slice peaches in 1/2 inch thick if you are using halves. Slice the mango, discard the stones then slice the flesh 1/2 inch thick. Set aside.
- In a bowl whip the cream until soft peak form then add the powdered sugar and whip until stiff peak.
- Pour over the graham cracker crust. Arrange the mangoes and peaches alternately on top.
- Cover with cling film and keep chilled until needed or freeze if you want.