Last night I was thinking of baking something else using my left over Ube Jam and Macapuno. Then this movie "Waitress" came into my head.
An Indie film about love and pie. It stars Keri Russell as diner waitress Jenna who bakes amazing pies which she names after circumstances in her life like. " I Don't Want Earl's Baby Pie"; I Hate My Husband Pie"; and "Falling in Love Pie" Unhappily married, she tries to come to terms with her new-found pregnancy when a new man comes to town, turning her little old life upside down.
This is definitely an experimental recipe...delicious but need to work on the filling because it turned out too soft. Next time I will use fresh ube instead of jam and those white bits are sweetened macapuno.
crust: makes one 8 inch tart pan1 cup flour
3/4 stick butter, cold, cut into cubes
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3 to 4 tbsp cold water
- Pre-heat oven to 190 C
- Mix together flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. cut in the butter with pastry cutter or a fork until the mixtures resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in cold water little by little until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed. Do not over mix.
- Turn out onto work surface, knead once or twice until dough comes together. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. On floured surface, roll out dough into circle (1/4 inch) thick.
- Lift dough using rolling pin and lay it over a 8 inch tart plate
- Press the dough along the edges of the tart pan to remove the excess.
- Prick all over with a fork so the crust won't balloon during baking.
- Bake at 190 C for 15 mins.
1/2 cup ube jam
1/4 cup macapuno
1/2 cup cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp sugar
- Place ube jam in a large bowl. Mix together with 1/2 cup cream, vanilla and sugar. Gradually blend until smooth,
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined. stir in macapuno.
- Pour mixture into pre-bake crust and bake for 190 C for 20 minutes then bring down temperature to 170 C and bake for 25 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool.